I live for some good hacks: my Pinterest boards and Instagram bookmarks are full of DIYs, cheats, and tips, ranging from home projects to health swaps to general advice. Because at the root of my wellness obsession is an inherent desire to make the most out of life–even in the minuscule, day-to-day changes that we call “hacks,” or anything that makes life a little healthier, happier, or better. So when I saw a New York Times opinion piece titled “The Greatest Life Hacks in the World (for Now)” go viral on TikTok, you know I was sliving for it (Paris Hilton is cool again, right?).
Full transparency, I’ve been thinking a lot about what wellness content we truly want to cover on The Everygirl–what content actually makes people well? Maybe it’s less about the latest foods, trends, and supplements, and more about the everyday, totally free advice that changes the way you think or how you go through your daily routine, and ends up transforming your entire outlook on life. So I wanted to share with you the life hacks that I have found to be the most powerful, transformative, and profound (yes, even when they’re super simple). Consider this list to be your modern-day fairy godmother: it will help you completely change your life (glass slippers not included). Read on for what I believe to be the 30 greatest life hacks of all time.
1. Have something to talk about that is not other people and your judgments of them (FYI, talking shit about other people makes you feel bad about yourself).
2. Happiness is a skill, not a circumstance–practice it, don’t wait for it.
3. Mute or unfollow any account on social media that doesn’t bring you joy or inspiration.
4. Time is a commodity to invest, not spend.
5. Unfollow your ex. No, but like seriously.
6. If you’re unhappy about something, change the circumstance. If you can’t change the circumstance, change your mindset.
7. When you start feeling insecure, get outside yourself: call up a friend to ask how they are, donate to an organization you care about, or read a book about someone else’s experience (I swear it diminishes the insecurity!).
8. Eat more whole foods from the earth (no really, that is the only nutrition hack or diet advice you’ll ever need).
9. Say “thank you for…” instead of “I’m sorry for…”
10. Being with the wrong person is more lonely than being alone.
11. Replace “I’m too busy for…” with “it is not my priority to…” It will make you question how you’re actually spending your time.
12. “No” is a complete sentence.
13. Keep a list on your phone of all the things that made you laugh out loud–you can read it anytime you need to laugh or be cheered up.
14. Remember that the way you look is not an accomplishment (your best self has nothing to do with a breakout, a patch of cellulite, or gaining a few pounds).
15. Make your bed every morning. Don’t think about it, just do it.
16. When you feel a lack of something–whether it’s time, energy, love, or money–give more of it. You’ll realize how much you already have, and attract more of it to you.
17. With any health goal, work on achieving balance rather than perfection.
18. Know that what you love in others is what you love about yourself; what you hate in others is what hate in yourself.
19. When feeling low energy, take a walk outside or get direct sunlight.
20. Think of self-care as a mindset, not a to-do list.
21. When feeling stressed, physically respond: release your shoulders, unclench your jaw, take deep breaths.
22. Make your password your favorite affirmation so you have to repeat it whenever you log in.
23. The secret to being liked by anyone: ask other people questions more than you make statements about yourself.
24. Tape your mouth while you sleep. You will look weird, but you will never wake up so energized.
25. Eat the damn ice cream cone. Or the pastry, or the plate of pasta, or any other [insert favorite food here]. Enjoy every bite of your life, and eat with mindfulness instead of insecurity.
26. Fall asleep thinking about all the things that went right that day.
27. Come in contact with the earth more: walk along the beach with bare feet, swim in the ocean, literally hug a tree, or lay in the grass (it’s called earthing and it’s scientific AF, look it up).
28. Turn off all notifications on your phone. Getting notifications (from emails, iMessages, calls, DMs, etc.) means you’re constantly in a state of reaction; take your power back by only responding to messages or clicking on apps when you want to, not when your phone tells you to.
29. Feeling overwhelmed or overly busy? Taking control of how you spend the first 30 minutes of your day will make you feel in control of the rest of your day.
30. Learn how to be nice–really, truly nice. This is the most insanely powerful life hack, but the most overlooked.
Source: Cosmo Politian
Leave a Reply